Skip to main content

Will Joseph Cook: I Was Put On This Earth To Soundtrack a Rom Com.

 

Interview with Will Joseph Cook



Will Joseph Cook is an artist I have followed for so many years now, and I was thrilled beyond belief when he agreed to let me interview him for my blog!

Will is an indie pop artist who released his debut EP 'You Jump I Run' in 2015, followed by his first album 'Sweet Dreamer' in 2017. Now on his own label, Bad Hotel, we have his latest album released November 2020 - 'Something To Feel Good About'. This album is full of uplifting, catchy songs with thought-provoking lyrics and memorable melodies. The fun, light-hearted opening track 'Be Around Me' became the TikTok sensation; "Oh my god did you call me baby?" with over 1.2 million videos made using this sound. You can join Will Joseph Cook's other 298.6K TikTok followers here. 

Grace: How would you introduce yourself at a party?

Will: I usually just go in on some random conversation, the formality of introducing myself past anything more than “Will” always feels weird.

 

Grace: What film would you have liked to have done the soundtrack for?

Will: I often think I was put on this earth to soundtrack a rom com. Maybe like a Forgetting Sarah Marshall vibe.

  

Grace: Do you sing in the shower? What songs?

Will: I always sing in the shower, one of my faves is Chet Baker’s ‘I Get Along Without You Very Well’.


Grace: What is the most useless talent you have?

Will: Weirdly I’m pretty decent at ice skating for someone who has only been a handful of times. Like, why can’t I be a natural at skateboarding instead?

  

Grace: What would you be doing now if music didn’t exist?

Will: Imploding.

  

Grace: I’ve been loving your Nintendo mashups, what’s your favourite Nintendo game?

Will: Basic but Legend of Zelda Windwaker is the GOAT for me.

  

Grace: What’s your favourite Mario Kart race?

Will: Excitebike Arena, it’s such a rush.

  

Grace: What’s your favourite album released in 2020? (you can’t say Something To Feel Good About because that’s mine)

Will: Cardboard City by Zack Villere.

  

Grace: Your music videos are some of my favourites ever, which one is your favourite?

Will: Definitely the latest two, Be Around Me and DOWNDOWNDOWN! Working with director Bertie Gilbert was really fulfilling. I’m a long term fan of his work and it was the first time I really felt like there was equal emotional investment in the process from both me and the director. 




I just want to say thank you again to Will Joseph Cook for talking to me, and I look forward to being able to go to one of his gigs again soon! 

You can find Will on     Apple Music,     Spotify,     Instagram,     Twitter     and        TikTok     and you can buy his album and merch here.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Skinner Brothers - 'Iconic' EP Review

  The Skinner Brothers - 'Iconic' EP Review Tomorrow (Friday 7th May 2021) sees The Skinner Brothers drop their new EP 'Iconic'!  As their Spotify bio says, "The Skinner Brothers don't fuck about" and this 4-track EP backs up this claim! The EP explodes into action with two new tracks and two previously released singles - but with a twist. First up, the title track 'Iconic' starts with Zac Skinner's vocals and a guitar - then the beat comes in hard and we're rockin'! This is an amazing start, a track full of swag and attitude and will get the crowd chanting along "Iconic" in the build up to the final chorus. 'Iconic' is for winning the game with success against all odds "Get on it, step on it, subsonic, iconic." The second, and other brand new track is 'M.O.R.E', heavier than 'Iconic', it starts small and grows into an anthem oozing with self confidence. 'M.O.R.E' mentions getting up m

Greysha - 'Gold Glaze' Single Review

  19 year old, Shropshire based singer/songwriter Greysha released 'Gold Glaze' on 20th October.  A beautiful and reflective song about looking back at key events in your life. Told from the perspective of growing up it touches on lots of subjects many teenagers will recognise in themselves, not wanting to be in class, rebellious piercings, also however the more serious and poignant subjects of family and looking back at happier times.  As a subscriber to her mailing list from back when I bought the CD of her previous single 'Aspirin' , Greysha said of 'Gold Glaze' on release "I have poured my soul and a little part of who I am into this" The inflection and emotion she puts into the vocals literally make you feel this is true. A track with layered harmonies and cinematic strings, you smile and you even sing along to the "Gold Glaze" part but you also feel Greysha's pain at times..."Tell the darkness to stay back another day"  Gr

Declan McKenna Zeros Tour

 Declan McKenna Zeros Tour J1, Cambridge Junction - 23rd August 2021 "Cambridge are the OG's... everyone in this room saw me busking in the street 5 years ago." Declan McKenna appreciatively told the sold out crowd on the first night of his Zeros Tour, kicking off in Cambridge last night. With the checkerboard stage set with glitter balls and confetti cannons, the atmosphere was electric! You better believe Declan was on top form wearing his glittery suit, and the set had everything that you could have asked for. This gig was a humongous deal for me as it marked my return to indoor gigs for the first time in 18 months, and I couldn't think of anyone better to do it with than Declan! He gave the crowd exactly what they wanted with a blistering start performing 'Beautiful Faces', 'Rapture' and 'Sagittarius A*' accompanied by the confetti cannons going off, making sure that the concert literally started with a bang!  Declan appeared to be full of